What kind of doctor should I see if I have myofascial pain syndrome?

What kind of doctor should I see if I have myofascial pain syndrome?

The most effective and well-educated physician in myofascial pain syndrome is more often a physiatrist, especially one specializing in pain management.  Some physicians specializing in occupational injury seem to have greater training and understanding of myofascial pain syndrome as well.  This is from my 25 years of working with Bay Area physicians as a team to help patients with myofascial pain syndrome. To find strong painkillers visit PillsPrime.

As a therapist specializing in treating myofascial pain syndrome, these would be my first picks, for a Google or Yelp search.  But an increasing number of neurologists and orthopedists specializing in pain management are entering the ranks of those physicians managing cases of primary MPS.

If you are not sure whether a physician or therapist is well-versed in MPS, the first step will be for you to do your own research on your condition, to Make Sure that you actually have symptoms that fit the profile of MPS.  It will ultimately be for a physician to diagnose, but they will be (or should be) pleased that you have done your homework on the syndrome, which will save them time.

Next, you will want to do a cursory search on Google and Yelp to determine which physicians are relaying a specialty in MPS.  Physicians seem to be racing to learn proper protocol for MPS treatment right now. The primary physiatrist I knew at Stanford Pain Management Clinic spends about 2/3s of his time travellling to educate physiatrists in this.  You can always call a physician’s office, and ask the staff if they treat myofascial pain syndrome. You can even ask how they do it; or you can ask the physician at the appointment.

If they reply, “We inject cortisone into the sore/tender area”, they are probably not well-trained.  This doesn’t address the taught band and trigger point.

Most of the well-trained physicians I work with do proper trigger point injections, but they also realize that you can’t do more than 4 or 5 at a go, because they are painful.  We almost always work in a team. My job is to get rid of as much of the active/latent trigger points as possible. If there’s something I can’t get (too deep, too active, etc.), they inject it.  It WORKS.

The internet and the phone are your friends.  Don’t be afraid to use them in order to find the best doctor to help you.  Good luck!


Comments are closed.

Riddiford St, 6021

Newtown, Wellington

+64 4-385 5999

Call us today!

Opening Hours

Mon - Fri: 8:00 - 17:00

Appointment Booking